If you’re getting ready to take on a DIY home remodeling project this year, you’re likely looking for tips; where to start, what is doable, how to pay for the project, and much more. A home renovation is a big project to take on, and if you’re planning to do it yourself, you need to do some serious prep, both in collecting materials and teaching yourself the necessary skills. This guide will discuss some of the best DIY home renovation tips for both beginners and experts.
Funding a Home Renovation
Financing a home renovation project can be a big investment. There are a few ways you can prepare ahead of time for funding your home renovation, especially if you are planning to do it yourself:
When it comes to DIY home renovation tips, the number one thing to remember is that cash is the best option for financing home renovation projects. Using cash for home renovations allows you to get the tools and materials you need without worrying about paying back any debt or paying extra on collecting interest. In the end, using cash to pay for your home renovation project is the cheapest option for financing. However, if you’re planning to do a larger renovation, you may not have enough cash saved up to cover the entire project and will have to rely on additional options.
Your next best option for financing a DIY home renovation is a personal loan. Personal loans are one of the easiest to be approved for. You can apply for one at your local bank, credit union, or through a private source. If you get approved for a personal loan, some lenders will transfer the money into your account in one. Personal loans are also a good option because you don’t have to put your house up as collateral. However, if this is the route you decide to go, take your time researching your options. There are a lot of different options as far as terms and interests so you want to find the best option for you.
Home Equity Line Of Credit
A home equity line of credit is a great option for people who are taking on a bigger project. This type of line is similar to a credit card. You will have a set amount that you can take out, but you need to make payments before you can take more. There is a bit more risk with this option as your house will be put up as collateral to secure the loan. However, you may be able to qualify for lower interest rates because of this.
One of the most popular rooms homeowners choose to renovate is the bathroom. Homeowners renovate more than 14.2 million bathrooms each year. Bathrooms are one of the more high traffic rooms in a home and usually need a renovation or remodel more often. Bathroom remodeling projects often tend to be more expensive based on the changes that are required. Altering plumbing or redoing flooring can be pricey, whereas changing decoration or painting doesn’t cost as much.
Here are some DIY home renovation tips for your next bathroom remodel:
Because bathrooms tend to stay wet for longer periods, certain aspects of the room may need to be repaired or updated more often. The flooring, depending on the material you have used, is one of those aspects. If you have tile flooring, your area may hold up to humidity and traffic much better, whereas linoleum or hardwood would need more care. Based on the type of flooring you have, you can consider these options for DIY home renovation tips:
- Hardwood: If you have hardwood flooring in your bathroom, you will want to ensure that the sealing is holding up and not letting water collect and mildew growth under the boards. You can refill any cracks, or even reseal the flooring at home with the proper tools. You may also consider waxing the floor ever now and then to help it keep its shine.
- Linoleum: This type of flooring can start to peel up after a while. But with the right tools and adhesive, you can reconnect it to the ground, or even replace it in sections. Linoleum flooring can show signs of wear and tear faster than other types of flooring. If you aren’t ready to replace it but are sick of looking at a dingy floor, you may even consider painting it. Make sure to do some research on what type of paint is the best to hold up to high traffic and humidity.
- Tile: If you’ve got tile flooring in your bathroom, you will generally not have to worry as much as you would with other floorings. However, if you notice sections of grout peeling up or cracks in the tile, you can still make those repairs yourself. Again, with the right tools and some preparation ahead of time, you can regrout the tile, or even seal cracks. Like linoleum, if you’re getting bored with the color or pattern of your tile, you may consider painting it or even using stencils for a new look.
If you’re working on a budget, a great way to achieve a new look in your bathroom for a smaller price is to switch out the fixtures and hardware. You’d be surprised at how much changing your faucet from chrome to matte black can do for making your bathroom feel new.
You may also consider changing the overhead light fixture for more light, or a more modern feel. However, don’t ever try to do electrical re-wiring if you don’t have the right experience of training. This is one area that you should not DIY on your own and will need to hire an electrician. Depending on the hardware or fixtures you choose from, these DIY home renovation tips will allow you to save more money for big-ticket renovations elsewhere in your home but still get a new look in your bathroom.
Another budget-friendly DIY option for a bathroom renovation is to change out the decorations. Something as simple as changing out any artwork hanging on the walls of your bathroom, or replacing artwork with open shelving can give you a new look. You could even replace the mirror over your vanity for a big change. These DIY home renovation tips are easy enough for any homeowner, regardless of renovation skills, to apply in their own space.
After bathroom renovations in popularity come kitchen renovations. Homeowners remodel more than 10.2 million kitchens annually. Kitchens, however, are arguably the highest traffic room in a home, even more so than a bathroom. Because of that, kitchens also need frequent remodeling or touchups to remain in good quality.
Here are some DIY home renovation tips for fixing up your kitchen:
Counter tops face a lot of wear and tear, especially in kitchens. With dishes passing over them, food being prepared, liquids spilling, and more, there is quite a bit countertops have to hold up too. Depending on the type of material you’ve used for your countertops, there will be different styles of care required for each. Here are a few repair tips for some of the most popular types of countertops:
- Granite Countertops: While granite countertops are one of the longer-lasting options, they are still prone to chips and dents. This doesn’t mean you have to replace the entire countertop. There are a few options for at-home repair kits you can use that will fix the dents and chips with epoxy and won’t leave a noticeable spot.
- Wood Countertops: Wood, or butcher block countertops, are a popular option nowadays that can be damaged easily if not properly sealed. Because wood is a softer material, these types of countertops are also more prone to scratches and dents than others. You’ll need to be more careful with wood countertops but filling or smoothing out a scratch can be as simple as using some wood putty. If your wood countertop is starting to lose its shine, you could also sand it down and refinish it for a fresh new look.
- Laminate Countertops: These types of countertops can be more difficult to repair as they come in one big sheet and can’t be simply filled or sanded down if they get a scratch. Many homeowners who purchase a home with laminate countertops also notice that they start to lose their color and look dingy after a few years. One of the best DIY home renovation tips for laminate countertops is to totally change the look by using a peel and stick vinyl covering. They come in a ton of different colors and patterns and will give you a new countertop for a fraction of the price. Keep in mind that they do wear down faster and may need to be replaced more often.
Replacing or refinishing your kitchen cabinets is a great way to change the look of the space in a big way. However, it can be one of the most expensive parts of a renovation. Custom cabinets can easily run a homeowner anywhere from $500 to $1500. For those looking to remodel their kitchen on a budget, one of the best DIY home renovation tips is to simply paint your cabinets. Even staining them a darker color can have a big impact on their look, and its something even novice home renovators can do on their own.
Exterior Of Home
Summer is a great time to take on outdoor renovations and updates. That’s why the last item on the list for DIY home renovation tips is updating the exterior of your home. There are quite a few small, budget-friendly options that will greatly improve the look of your home. For example, rather than painting your entire home, you can rent a pressure washer from your local hardware store and take a few hours to clean the siding of your home. You will be shocked at how different your home looks after you clean off years of dirt and grime.
High on the list of DIY home renovation tips for the exterior of your home is cleaning and repairing and damage to your roof or gutters. Summer is one of the best times to get this done so that you won’t have to worry about leaks during fall and winter. If you have the right safety tools, you can climb on your roof to inspect for any damage and remove leaves and sticks. You’ll also want to clear out your gutters. If you still have that pressure washer, this is a great use for it. After you’ve cleaned the gutters out you could also look into a gutter guard installation to keep your gutters from filling up with leaves and dirt and causing leaks.
If you have children or pets that like to play in the yard, summer is also a great time to take on replacing or installing a fence around your yard. You can either buy the parts for a fence premade or build one yourself if you have the right tools. This is a completely doable DIY but will take a bit more skill than other options. It’s also a more expensive DIY as fence supplies are not cheap, so as you plan out your budget for your home renovation, you may want to cut down on other places to ensure you have enough funds for this project.
When it comes to DIY home renovation tips, there are quite a few to keep in mind. When it really comes down to it, it all depends on your two things; your skillset and your budget. Homeowners can accomplish some truly beautiful renovations on their own. They just have to be prepared to be patient and have the process go a bit slower than it may with a professional team. But the feeling of looking over a finished project that you created with your own hands is like no other. Good luck with your DIY home renovations this year.